Counterparty is an innovative peer-to-peer financial platform. Unlike Wall Street and other centralized financial institutions, Counterparty provides open, secure financial tools and markets that do not require a trusted third party or middleman to use. The first of its kind, Counterparty aims to democratize finance in the same way the Internet itself democratized creation and sharing of information.
The platform is built on top of Bitcoin, and extends the functionality of the Bitcoin network in new and unprecedented ways. With Counterparty, anyone with an Internet connection gains access to financial instruments that were previously cost prohibitive or not available at all.
The primary goal of Counterparty is to enable entrepreneurs, developers, artists and more to build a new, productive economy: doing things that have never been done before, made possible by the amazing technology behind Bitcoin. We want to unlock the potential of “Bitcoin 2.0″ for thousands of people, who will then create profitable businesses, as well use the technology to further the social good.
Counterparty’s native currency, XCP, is un-mined and slightly deflationary, with 2.6 million XCP created by burning bitcoins in January 2014. Read more about how this burn process lead to an unpresidented fair launch.
- User-Friendly: With Counterwallet you can start using the Counterparty platform immediately.
- Open: As a community-driven, open-source project, we’re building a grassroots movement to free up the world’s markets from centralized control. With Counterparty, you can take part in a global financial marketplace, where bonds and commodities are traded with no exchange fees, risk is hedged without paying a broker, and crowdfunding is done without kickbacks to third-parties.
- Safe: Counterparty has a built-in escrow service that holds your funds until your transactions are complete, entirely eliminating the need for a trusted third-party. There is no bank account that can be seized and no company server that can be hacked. Counterparty keeps an indisputable record of ownership embedded in the Bitcoin blockchain, which is stored safely on thousands of computers all over the world.
- Secure: The Counterparty source code is publicly available and has been audited by several top-tier security experts. The development team operates a generous bug bounty program to incentivise others to review and help harden the code.
- Send: XCP or user-created assets
- User-Created Assets: Issue user‐defined currencies/assets and pay dividends on them.
- Distributed Exchange: Trade XCP, BTC or any asset with any other.
- Feeds: Broadcast information, which may be used as the subject of a bet.
- Betting, Financial Derivatives: Make bets, or construct contracts for difference, on the numerical value of a feed.
- A Full, Turing-Complete Smart Contracts Platform:With all of the features of Ethereum’s, and entirely compatible.
- API documentation
- Chinese Language Thread
Primary Developers: Adam Krellenstein (PhantomPhreak), Robby Dermody (xnova), Ouziel Slama (JahPowerBit)